10 Great Reasons to do a Yoga Teacher Training (Even if you Don’t want to Teach!)

I had been practicing for 8 years before I started to toy with the idea of taking a teacher training. My first thought, I was too old! The younger generation was showing up as the popularity of yoga gathered momentum. So, at the ripe ole’ age of 36, I made excuses and tried to talk myself out of it. Truthfully, I was scared. I knew I would have to get out of my comfort zone. But this little voice in my head kept saying “Do it, the time is now!” 

I am so happy I listened to my intuition and stepped into the fire. Words simply cannot express the magnitude of the experience and how it changed my life. Upon completion of my training, I was offered a position at a local gym. It was there that I was able to share the beauty of this practice to others. 17 years later, not a day goes by that I don’t give thanks to this practice, the teachings, and all that it has given to me. And a reminder, we are never too old to try something new!

Even if you choose not to teach the outcome is extremely positive; your confidence will soar, the practice will take root, and the inspiration from the training will fuel any number of transformations in your life. Need more? Here are 10 reasons why a teacher training is right for you: 

1. Deepen your practice – enhance your understanding of poses from the inside out, learn yoga anatomy, alignment and key actions, modifications, and hands on adjustments.
  2. Focus on you – teacher training is an investment in you, your health, and your growth. 
  3. Get in shape, feel great – nothing like practicing asana everyday to give a boost to your health and wellness. 
  4. Broaden your understanding of yoga beyond physical poses – explore the subtleties of pranayama, meditation, chakras, and energy anatomy.
  5. Explore yoga philosophy – what is the history of yoga? where does it come from? why is it still applicable today? learn the vibrational language of Sanskrit.
  6. Cultivate lasting and meaningful relationships – the bonds that are created during teacher training last a lifetime as you immerse yourself in community and deepen your connection with teachers and fellow students.
  7. Accelerate transformation in your life – there is an individual and collective experience of transformation that takes shape during a training inspiring you to live bigger and brighter!
  8. Learn to teach – whether you ever teach a yoga class post training or not what you gain from the opportunity to teach others ripples out into all areas of your life. 
  9. Receive personal attention – learn how to adapt the practice to meet your needs, develop a personal mediation and home asana practice, and receive individualized feedback on how to teach in a way that is most authentic to you!
  10. You love yoga! why not dive deeper into something that brings you peace and happiness. 😊

Yoga teacher training is a substantial commitment of your energy, time, and finances; and it’s not an easy decision. Please feel free to contact Stacy or I if you would like to discuss the possibilities. 

In Gratitude, 

Gena 

Creating time for yoga – by Papa Yogi

Wise words as to why we should always have time for Yoga and our personal wellbeing, by Papa Yogi!

A few words from Butch about the changes at Leap!

To see our class schedule and book a class, click on the photo below:

A short and inspiring video recap of our giving project this last Christmas.  We are so happy Leap and its community was able to be a contributor to such a local worthy cause.

It brought tears to my eyes to see people coming together in service, generosity, and love during such a difficult time for all.

I am so glad we could be a part of it this year.

With much love

Stacy

I can’t believe it…9 years!  This Monday, February 15th, Leap will celebrate it’s 9th anniversary…and what a 9 years it has been! When I reflect back over the years there are so many wonderful and moving memories. If I shared them all this would be a VERY long novel, so in the interest of brevity, I will simply say THANK YOU for your support and for being an important part of this amazing community. The Leap family has endured heartbreak and loss and celebrated life and love while continuing to support one another through it all. Thank you to our teachers, staff, assistants, KYs and to YOU…the students… who make this community what it is! Believe it or not, I still stop by the studio and just sit on the couch to FEEL the positive energy and love all of you have brought to this wonderful place!

With humility, gratitude, admiration and love… I THANK YOU!

Namaste,

Papa Yogi

This year is so very different and even though we aren’t able to celebrate in the usual way we ARE celebrating by offering FREE Classes all-day on Monday, February 15th. Both VIRTUAL and IN-STUDIO options are available so be sure to sign up in advance and join us in the celebration of our very special yoga home.

09:00 AM – 10:00 AM • Vinyasa Flow • Gena Foreman

04:30 PM – 05:30 PM • Kaiut Yoga • Michéal Mitchell

06:00 PM – 07:00 PM • Vinyasa Yoga Flow • Amy Zilkie

We think it most appropriate that Gena is taking our first class on Monday as she was and is one of our original teachers that taught exactly 9 years ago to the day, when we opened.

To sign up: https://leapyoga.net/virtual-live/

Relax Deeply with Cici

We are adding an additional class to our Sunday schedule, headed by Cici, from 4.00pm to 5:15pm. The first class starts Sunday 2/14 and we very much look forward to seeing at Leap!

Available In-Studio & VIRTUAL

Relax Deeply is a method of restorative yoga pioneered by Eddie Modestini and Kristin Bosteels. Using props to creatively support the body, students are guided towards an experience of profound relaxation and healing. While all poses will be gentle, students will be encouraged to find a balance of effort and non-effort, embodying the famous yoga sutra “sthira sukham asanam,” or effort without tension, relaxation without dullness. This practice is ideal for those who are looking to yoga to support the emotional body, are in the midst of illness or disease, or simply need a way to destress from the challenges of daily life.

To sign up: Relax Deeply with Cici

We have upgraded our Library for 2021.

Members have access to hundreds of stored VIRTUAL classes including Vinyasa, Slow Flow, Yin, Kaiut, Ashtanga and Prenatal, taught by some of the most amazing teachers, there is certainly something for everybody!

We are constantly and daily adding to our selection. To access the pre 2021 Leap VIRTUAL class library, simply click on the Archive VIRTUAL Library button on our VIRTUAL Library page, under the Schedule drop down on our website – this hasn’t changed: https://leapyoga.net/virtual/

To access our new system and 2021 classes, click on the purple 2021 VIRTUAL Library button on the same page, or follow this direct link: https://video.mindbody.io/studios/21368/videos

We are also in the process of upgrading our VIRTUAL streaming, details to follow shortly.

Join Leap Yoga and Powerhouse Ministries in making the holidays bright for those in need.

How can I help?

1. Sign up to provide a gift here:

https://www.signupgenius.com/go/10C0D4AA5AE22A5FFC52-christmas

2. Shop for your item.

3. Return it to Leap Yoga before December 10th.

Gifts should be unwrapped. We encourage you to bring your donations in during hours where classes are scheduled. A drop box is in the lobby at Leap. If you cannot swing by during regular hours, please contact Joy at joycazel@gmail.com to schedule a drop off time.

4. Invite your friends and family to join and help make this year’s giving project a huge success!

For more information on Powerhouse Ministries, check out their website Powerhouse Ministries – Light Up The Dark or contact amy@phmfolsom.org

Leap Yoga & Wellness: SAFETY

We are deeply grateful to all of you who have continued to practice with us during the past year. From safety protocols to schedule changes, to the learning of new technology, we’ve navigated this terrain together. From the bottom of our hearts, we THANK YOU.  The strength of the Leap Community has been a steady foundation during these turbulent times.

As we navigate forward, we remain hopeful. We continue to add classes to our schedule and grow our offerings. IN-STUDIO safety protocols include finally allow us to no longer make it mandatory to wear a mask while on your mat, though we do ask that you continue to wear it when walking around the studio.

We will continue to take your temperature upon arrival.

Extensive cleaning procedures are implemented, with air purifiers on during all classes.  More details follow in this post.

Leap VIRTUAL classes are available for those who prefer to continue practicing from the comfort of your home.  As always we will be doing our best to serve in a way that offers classes for EVERY BODY so whether you wish to practice at the studio or join us VIRTUALLY, we are here for you!

Sign up at the Leap Website, “IN-STUDIO” and “VIRTUAL” are listed separately on our class schedule.

Your Safety:

Our studio safety standards are designed to help us provide a safe and welcoming environment to all who wish to attend in-studio classes. Please take a moment to review. We thank you for your support and understanding.

Please be advised your temperature will be taken upon arrival.

Reserve your class in advance:

Class sizes are limited and therefore we cannot accept walk-ins at this time. Visit www.leapyoga.net to register in advance.

Please stay home if you are not feeling well:

If you or an immediate family member is sick, running a fever, showing signs of COVID-19 or other illness please do not practice at the studio. If you have tested positive for COVID-19 or have been in contact with someone who has, we ask that you not come to the studio for 14 days or until you’ve tested negative.

We ask that you wear a face mask to and from your mat during your Leap Yoga & Wellness experience; mask wearing while on your mat is optional.

Our front desk/check in staff will be wearing face masks.

Clean hands make a big difference:

We will have hand sanitizer stations in many different locations in the studio. Please sanitize hands when you come in and again when you leave your mat.

How about restrooms?

We ask that you use our restrooms on a limited basis and limit bathroom occupancy to a maximum of 2 people at a time.

Showers will be closed temporarily.

Please bring your own mats and props.

There will be no rentals or shared props at this time. We have props and mats for sale in studio.

Observe social distancing guidelines:

Remember the days where we practiced 2 inches from one another? Well those days are over for now. We have red (vinyasa & yin classes) and green (kaiut classes) stickers on the floor that you will place at the top center of your mat. This way you will maintain a minimum of 6 feet distance separation. As you check in please maintain social distancing.

Time in between classes will be used for cleaning the studio for our next wonderful group of yogis.

Wishing all of you health, peace with much love and gratitude.